Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 18:52:17 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building EGCS.  What am I missing?

In article <19980127084505.42012@keltia.freenix.fr>,
Ollivier Robert  <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr> wrote:
> According to Alex:
> > I tried that, and it built just fine.  However, I can't seem to get it to
> > make shared libraries at all :/  I've mucked around with switching to ELF,
>
> You probably get the same error as I do:
>
> /opt/egcs/bin/gcc -fpic -DPIC -O -pipe -DLIBC_SCCS -I/usr/src/lib/libkvm/../../sys -c /src/src/lib/libkvm/kvm_proc.c -o kvm_proc.so
> building shared kvm library (version 2.0)
> ld: No reference to __DYNAMIC
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> *** Error code 1

You folks are having problems building shared libraries with egcs
for the simple reason that it is broken currently.  As I wrote when
I committed the port, it is just a beginning.  There are a lot of
FreeBSD related patches that need to be put in.  For this particular
case, it's most likely a problem with the LINKER_SPEC or whatever it's
called.  This didn't used to work for our native gcc, either, until I
fixed it.

Probably building shared libraries by hand with "ld -Bshareable
/usr/lib/c++rt0.o *.so ..." will work OK.  The problem just affects
"gcc -shared".

John