Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 08:37:15 -0800
From:      Don Wilde <don@partsnow.com>
To:        chas <panda@peace.com.my>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: security and scripts ? (was Re: Tcl/Tk tutorial recommendations?)

> On that note, I was recommended Expect for scripting a webpage for
> users to change their email passwords. Is this secure ? (bit dubious
> of anything that runs with privileges to change the /etc/passwd file)
>
> chas

and rightly so... It isn't :) Expect merely allows you to do things you
can already do with a keyboard. Then again, in the Real World, nothing
is ever secure except six feet of concrete :) Use with disgression, and
make sure the expect script itself is protected from reading, permission
100, etc., and is in a non-reachable directory.

--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *