Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:48:59 -0600
From:      Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch@gmail.com>
To:        Nicholas McKenzie <nicholassmckenzie@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird right click issues when using freebsd synaptics driver

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 5:35 AM, Nicholas McKenzie
<nicholassmckenzie@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I use the right click on my synaptics touch pad on my HP dv5-1004nr, it
> sometimes works properly, but other times i get weird errors. I cannot use
> the x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics because it has some kind of glitch when
> being used with x11-drivers/xf86-video-[ati. radeon] that freezes the
> system. (Side note: anyone know of any workaround for this?) This leaves the
> only solution for enabling synaptics support in FreeBSD to add
> hw.psm.synaptics_support="1". Everything works beautifully except for the
> right mouse button. With the occasional, properly working exception, the
> following actions are experienced when right clicking:
> * Right clicking on the KDE taskbard causes it to scroll through the virtual
> desktops.
> * Right clicking in Firefox causes it to switch tabs or scroll to the top of
> the page, sometimes going back a page.
> * Right clicking in Opera causes it to scroll to the top of the page, or pop
> up a window that cyles through the pages (by pressing Ctrl+tab).
>
> Dmesg, loader.conf, sysctl.conf attached. The Mouse section of my xorg.conf:
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Mouse0"
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "Protocol" "auto"
> Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
> #Tried both of these:
> #Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> Option "ZAxisMapping "4 5 6 7"
> EndSection

I saw this same behavior while using moused in conjunction with
built-in (non-Xorg driver) synaptics support. I had it ALMOST working,
but I managed to mess up my configs experimenting and couldn't get
things back to a good state :(

I finally wound up setting hw.psm.synaptics_support="1", installing
xf86-input-synaptics-1.1.2 from ports, doing away with my xorg.conf,
and setting everything using synclient(1).

Somehow, things are working much better, although it seems several
features of the trackpad just don't work (such as two-finger support).

-Brandon