Date:      Wed, 02 Jul 1997 08:36:30 -0700
From:      "Freeman P. Pascal IV" <pascal@compute.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Freeman Pascal <pascal@compute.com>
Subject:   Re: Problems with onboard Adaptec 7870 on Intel ALTServer motherboard...

I have upgraded to 2.2.2-RELEASE as recommended, and that has
fixed the system from hanging.  The SCSI resets happen quite
often, especially during invokations of "find" (no surprise here).

Each night the system panics and I find it in the morning asking
for a manual fsck.  Usually the file-system is trashed, dups and
lots of files removed.  There's no record of a cause.  I suspect
that the system is panicing  while freeing an inode or something
(this would explain lack of messages).

I've swapped out the complete machine - only the disks are the
same, and the problem persists.

I wish I knew more about the scsi drivers, I'd put sometime into
tracing the problem.  All I've been able to determine is that the
error messages are coming from aic7xxx.c.

The errors I'm seeing are:

sd0(ahc0:0:0): SCB 0x0 - timed out in datain phase, SCSISIGI == 0x44
SEQADDR = 0x125 SCSISEQ = 0x12 SSTAT0 = 0x4 SSTAT1 = 0x3
sd0(ahc0:0:0): abort message in message buffer
sd0(ahc0:0:0): SCB 0x0 - timed out in datain phase, SCSISIGI == 0x54
SEQADDR = 0x125 SCSISEQ = 0x12 SSTAT0 = 0x4 SSTAT1 = 0x3
ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 1 SCBs aborted
Clearing bus reset
Clearing 'in-reset' flag
sd0(ahc0:0:0): no longer in timeout
sd0(ahc0:0:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,2
, retries:3
sd1(ahc0:1:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,0
sd1(ahc0:1:0):  Power on, reset, or bus device reset occurred
, retries:2
sd2(ahc0:2:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,0
sd2(ahc0:2:0):  Power on, reset, or bus device reset occurred
, retries:2

It happens on all of the disks, mostly sd0 since it is the most
accessed.

Any help would be appreciated - if I can't fix this, I'll have to
switch to Solaris 2.5.1 X86 which I don't want to do.

-Freeman

Freeman P. Pascal IV wrote:

> I'm experiencing problems with 2.2.1-RELEASE on an Intel ALTServer
> motherboard.  The system installed fine, but it randomly generates
> SCSI timeouts that hang the controller and the system.
>
> I've read in the freebsd-questions archive that the fix was to move
> up to 2.1-STABLE.  I assume that the fixes would also be in
> 2.2.1-RELEASE.
>
> Has anyone else seen this problem and is there a fix?
>
> Please say "yes" - I have four of these systems and I want them to
> work with FreeBSD.
>
> -Freeman

		C O M P U T E   I N T E N S I V E ,   I N C .
                        (A Member of the Verio Group)
     Freeman P. Pascal IV	  Phone Work:  (800) 273-5600
     Compute Intensive, Inc.		Home:  (510) 232-0914
     8001 Irvine Center Drive  	         FAX:  (510) 236-2396
     Suite 1130			  Email Work:  pascal@compute.com
     Irvine, CA 92618	        	Home:  pascal@pascal.org
					Work:  http://www.verio.com
					Home:  http://www.pascal.org
   For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that
   whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting
   life.		 	- John 3:16 (KJV)