Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 2002 14:22:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ker Lutyn <ker527mail@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bug found in apsfilter - uses installer's shell for filter?

Okay, I discovered the existence of /var/spool/lpd/lp/log.  It records the
following error for every print attempt:

    /etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:
    line 1220: syntax error near unexpected token `|}'
    /etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:
    line 1220: `${PS_NUP:+psnup -q -$PS_NUP ${LANDSCAPE:+$PSNUP_ROTATE}|} \'

So I checked out /etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter and discovered this at
the top of the file:

    #! /usr/local/bin/bash

I installed this as 'su toor', which uses bash.  Certainly the script shouldn't
take the installer's shell for its own filter?!  In any case, I replaced this
with /bin/sh, and voila! everything works.