Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:55:12 +0100
From:      Dermot McNally <dermot@traveldev.com>
To:        Fred Clift <fred@clift.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Numbering of fxp devices

Fred Clift wrote:

> in FreeBSD <= 3.X it appears that all pci-to-pci busses were probed first,
> and then devices on them were probed in some fixed order.
>
> In FreeBSD >= 4.0 the 'newbus' code replaced a lot of the old bus code

Well, this certainly isn't what got me - The oldest release that has
been on this particular box is 4.0-RELEASE. At almost all times, the
card has probed before the onboard, and I'm beginning to think that it
will stay that way. Maybe there was a glitch introduced into the code,
which got quickly backed out?

Dermot