Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:12:37 -0400
From:      Mathew Kanner <mat@cnd.mcgill.ca>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   mpu401 progress

Hello,
	A note to say that I can play midi on my cmi soundcard using a
generic mpu401 module.  Reading is untested by I think it works.  I
can also read/write with es137x, but that's unrelated.

	I'm excited about this because I now know what bits are needed
to make an average soundcard provide midi ( provided they have midi to
provide ).
	So, if you a sound card that uses a driver other than snd_cmi
and want to help/play, have a card with a generic mpu401, and can read
a spec or code, the following is what is needed:
	pci register, command to enable the uart
	base address of the uart

	This is for -current only.

	I'll see what I can do.  This avoids me from looking at gnu
code...  Just kidding but I did find it hard to track down my
soundcard spec...

	IIRC, the soundblaster live is beyond what I can do safely
without an actual card;  When I saw code for it they are using mm
registers instead of io ports, and that beyond what my driver can do
for the moment.

	In the meantime, I converting mpu401 to use use a mii-like
bus/driver interface, now that I've looked at it, this is where I
should have started.

	Cheers,
	--Mat

--
Brain: Moo. We are a cow. Take us to China.