Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 12:46:32 -0500
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Arnout Boer <arnout@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why not gzip iso images?

Arnout Boer wrote:

> But for the ISO images... IS it a problem to  gzip
> them....
> They take less space on the master site and the mirror
> sites and they take less bandwidth!

But, how much would the ISO be able to be compressed?  The source is
already a split, compressed tarball, for example...

> Less bandwidth and less time to download
> even economical a good thing!

I think we should use bzip2 to compress the images.  Someone should
try to compress the images using gzip, and then bzip2, and compare the
file sizes.  Bzip2 is an awesome compression program, but I understand
that gzip is better at compressing certain things for a small number
of cases.  Use the -v option to both, and see what it reports for the
compression %'age.

- Donn