Date:      Sun, 1 Jul 2001 10:56:00 -0400
From:      "Jamil Taylor" <jamil_taylor@pobox.com>
To:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: System Hang During tar Backup

I attempted this one more time and got it to work. What I had to do this
time was reboot the machine in single user mode. I entered the following
commands after pressing space during boot:

unload
load kernel
boot -s

After boot, I mounted all drives and successfully used tar to backup all
files. I used the same tar syntax, with the exception of running it verbose.

If I now have to use tar in single user mode, so be it. I did not have to do
this previously though.