Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 23:07:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Network Coordinator <nc@ai.net>
To:        David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Automatic Reboots and Locking up.

>    This sounds like you are running out of mbuf clusters. Watch the amount in-
> use closely with netstat -m. On a busy WWW server, you should add:
>
> options "NMBCLUSTERS=4096"
>
>    ...to your kernel config file to avoid running out of them. The default
> calculation is based on maxusers and is intended for general purpose use of
> which a WWW server is not.

I will try this immediately! Thank you so much. I had the number of users
set to 96, but obviously this wasn't enough. What is an NMBCLUSTER and
how will I know if 4096 is adequate?

Thanks again.

>    You really should be running 2.1-stable on this machine. -current is for
> developers and is known to be unstable.

If I could install -stable by off the net via a single boot floppy I
would have. Actually system this machine is replacing was running
2.1-RELEASE, but that machine was having all kinds of vnode errors so I
didn't want to take the chance.

Paul