Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 00:53:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: comments on X dependency patch?

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> Here's a sample patch (warning, untested!).  Basically it renames
> USE_X11 (which always didn't really mean what it says) to USE_X_PREFIX
> and adds a renewed USE_X11 meaning "requires X libraries".  While I
> was there, I got rid of NO_CONFIGURE and NO_PATCH, which never meant
> anything.

I say go for it.  Not only will this help prevent needless
USE_X11s, but it will also make Sue Blake happy.  :)

What sort of changes are required in sysinstall and/or pkg_add?

Of course, if any changes are needed to either, the standard
"upgrade your ports subsystem" package will need to take those
changes into account, too.

> +.elif defined(NO_CONFIGURE)
> +IGNORE=	"defines NO_CONFIGURE, which is obsoleted"
> +.elif defined(NO_PATCH)
> +IGNORE=	"defines NO_PATCH, which is obsoleted"

Are these two really really needed?  I can't think of a way that
a port defining NO_CONFIGURE (or NO_PATCH) will be broken by this
patch, and so far as removing all the NO_CONFIGUREs (and
NO_PATCH) from the existing ports, there are better ways (surely
I don't need to suggest man's best friend, "grep" ;-).  Standard
portlint(1) can prevent any new NO_CONFIGUREs (and NO_PATCHs).

Everyone does use portlint(1) before they import a new port,
right?  (<ahem>)

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.