Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 20:16:42 -0400
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Chuck Youse <cyouse@paradox.nexuslabs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UFS ACLs

Chuck Youse wrote:

> I admittedly haven't done much homework on this topic, but I was wondering
> if anyone has played with the idea of implementing ACLs on top of UFS.
>
> One of the weakest areas in UNIX is its lack of fine-grained access
> control for resources - the biggest resource being, of course, the
> filesystem.

As my personal experience with Novell Netware shows
most of the time the presence of the fine-grained
access control is a great temptation to create a complete
mess in the filesystem.

The thing I personally feel neccessary is being able
to assign access rights to a file to two separate
groups because it's cheap and resolves most of the
problems. I have implemented it as a small patch
that works with both FFS and EXT2FS in FreeBSD.
Let me know if you are interested in looking at it.

-SB