Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2019 13:11:16 +0200
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Avoiding LibreOffice DOS

Hello.

(FreeBSD 11.3p3/amd64, 8GiB RAM, with or without a 16GiB swap partition).

I'm working on a program that produces an .ODS file.
Sometimes this file is not valid and when LibreOffice (6.3.2) opens it,
it will start hogging memory until the system is so loaded that it will
stop answering to commands.
No killing X with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, no switching to another VT and
logging in, no getting in through SSH; the only thing that works is the
reset button.

Of course it's my responsibility to get my program to produce a correct
.ODS file.
Maybe I should try and get in touch with LibreOffice support about how
it behaves.
The real question here is: how do I get the OS to kill LibreOffice (or
any other program that hogs my machine) before I need to reset it?

I tried putting vmemoryuse=6g in /etc/login.conf, but it didn't help.
Any other hint?

  bye & Thanks
	av.