Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 12:36:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spidey <spidey@libdns.qc.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@libdns.qc.ca
Subject:   Problems with SB16 PnP and FBSD-stable (fwd)

[I cc this to -stable because I'm following 3-stable...]

[I sent this straight to Luigi some time ago, but it seem it wasn't a good
idea... so here I am.]

Hi!

	I have problemss playing sounds on my Sound Blaster, may it be
mp3's, waves or audio files.

	I can play music from the CD correctly. My sound card is
recognised. (i.e.:
Probing for PnP devices:
CSN 1 Vendor ID: CIR2000 [0x0020320d] Serial 0xffffffff Comp ID: @@@0000
[0x00000000]
CSN 2 Vendor ID: CTL0070 [0x70008c0e] Serial 0xffffffff Comp ID: PNPb02f
[0x2fb0d041]
pcm1 (SB16pnp <SB16 PnP> sn 0xffffffff) at 0x220-0x22f irq 10 drq 1 flags
0x15 on isa
)

	BUT! When I try to play audio or dsp, I have strange problems. The
sound is played for it's 2 first seconds (well, I do not hear any, but
the time counter tells me that 2 seconds have past), and then the program
stucks. This is the behavior of xamp, which does not response to any
stimuli other than a kill after the hang! I must interrupt the program and
then kill it.

	I then get the following error from the kernel:

Mar 11 15:34:36 freed /kernel: timeout flushing dbuf_out, chan 5 cnt
0xff00 flags 0x00000141

	When I use another program such as mpg123 to play mp3, it does not
play at all and I get:

Mar 11 15:36:05 freed /kernel: tsleep returns 4

	With play, it's almost worst:

spidey@freed [03:38pm] wav$ play hell228m.wav
^C^C^C^C^C^Z
[1]+  Stopped                 play hell228m.wav
spidey@freed [03:38pm] wav$ kill %1
[1]+  Terminated              play hell228m.wav
spidey@freed [03:38pm] wav$

	But at least, I hear a beginning of a sound... A cp or a cat over
dsp gives me almost the same thing. Same for .au over /dev/audio.

	I also remarked something different than before:

spidey@freed [03:39pm] au$ cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (981002) Mar 11 1999 14:42:50
Installed devices:
pcm1: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13> at 0x220 irq 10 dma 1:5
sequencer1: <???> at 0x388 (not functional)
spidey@freed [03:39pm] au$

	So, I ask... Is that -stable or me? :))

	oh, almost forgot:

controller pnp0
device     pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq ? drq ? flags 0x0 vector pcmintr

are in my kernel. At first, I tried pcm with irq 10 and drq 1, but it
changed nothing.

also, from dmesg:

CSN LDN conf en irqs  drqs others (PnP devices)
  2   0 OS    Y 10 0   1 5  port 0x220 0x330 0x388

Is there someone who had the same problem?

Thanks!

When a man lies he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
All this I can witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home