Date:      1 Jun 2001 20:58:30 -0700
From:      davep@afterswish.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hardware inturrupts mostly kiling 4.3R

Hi,

The 4.3R machine that was acting as my gateway, webserver etc. was working fine until yesterday. I moved a number of the machines it was attached to, but didn't change the machine itself and now it's behaving badly.

Closer inspection reveals I'm getting around 290 hardware interrupts/sec from *somewhere* and this is takng 75% of processor time:

 procs      memory     page                    disks     faults      cpu
 r b w     avm   fre  flt  re  pi  po  fr  sr ad0 ac0   in   sy  cs us sy id
 0 0 0   36576 26236   11   0   0   0   7   0   0   0  293  109  21  1 76 23
 0 0 0   36576 26236    5   0   0   0   0   0   0   0  286   18   7  0 75 25
 0 0 0   36576 26236    3   0   0   0   0   0   4   0  290   22   8  0 75 25

Apologies if that's illegible, but it shows 290 interrupts/sec, approx 10 cs/sec, no dsk activity, and page faults settle down to a constant 3/sec. Running ps ax shows that no userland programs have any significant loadings.

It's an old machine (P200) so there may be a hardware fault going on. The PSU was making some interesting noises and once it failed to power up the disk drive on boot, so it could be that on the way. The disk is IDE and very new, so should be OK and fsck shows no errors (is there a better check?). Could it be an error on the swap partition? How would I check?

So, is there any way I can find out where the interrupts are coming from? I don't want to just bin the machine, or reinstall, because that would be crap and I wouldn't learn anything.

Please reply direct to this email address, like I said my 'main' machine is elsewhere rght now and I'm having to do this off webmail with a machine whose 'I' key s knackered!

Thanks,
Dave