Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2013 18:40:19 +0000
From:      "Miller, Vincent (Rick)" <vmiller@verisign.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Verisign Announces vBSDCon

On 4/17/13 1:04 PM, "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com> wrote:

>"Miller, Vincent (Rick)" wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>=20
>> Verisign, Inc., who has become involved with FreeBSD over the last 3
>>years, would like to announce a user and developer conference to be held
>>Oct 25 =96 27, 2013 at the Dulles Hyatt in Dulles, VA.  More information
>>on this conference is available at
>>http://blog.hostileadmin.com/2013/04/17/vbsdcon-oct-25-27-2013/.  We are
>>excited to host this conference and are looking forward to seeing you
>>there.
>>=20
>> --
>> Vincent (Rick) Miller
>> Systems Engineer
>> vmiller@verisign.com
>
>No discouragement intended to Vincent (Rick) M, who I guess has
>probably worked hard to get his comany to fund something that will
>hopefuly bring useful synergy, but ..
>
>The URL & beyond didn't seem to include why one commercial company
>agreed to pay & host a BSD conference alone, when they could chip
>in with other companies to be one of several funders for a conference
>that would be vendor neutral ?
>
>The 8 line signature from corporate lawyers does not allay scepticism.

Thank you for the opportunity to explain.  The company will not be fully
funding the conference.  Sponsorship opportunities will be made available.
 In fact, if you or an affiliate are interested in sponsoring the event,
feel free to contact us.

Some background info...Verisign has been deploying FreeBSD for
approximately 3 years now and, in that time, several colleagues wanted to
give back to the community.  I attended MeetBSD 2012 as my first
BSD-related conference where the idea of hosting a conference entered my
mind.  I put it into action after discussing it with other conference
organizers, colleagues, and fellow FreeBSD enthusiasts.

So, simply stated, we are doing this as as a service to the FreeBSD
community.

--
Vincent (Rick) Miller
Systems Engineer