Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:10:09 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jeremiah@sherline.com>
To:        "John Baldwin" <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Gilbert Gong" <ggong@cal.alumni.berkeley.edu>, "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Advocacy?

> If you think that I'm going to try to work on the
> FreeBSD kernel using Visual C++ on a Windows box
> because you think that is the best desktop
> environment for me to use, then you must be
> smoking some serious stuff.  You are saying that
> the desktop software (X) that can be run on
> FreeBSD is not appropriate for ANY use by ANY person.

My perspective, as a programmer, is that (a) there's a difference between a
desktop and a development machine and (b) you should always try to develop
on the platform you're developing for.  By that reasoning, no I do not think
you should use Visual C++ to develop for FreeBSD, although I have written
portable apps in VC++ that compile nicely under FreeBSD as well.  I didn't
say that X wasn't useful to some people.  I said that it is my opinion that
it does not make a good desktop, and it's existance doesn't make FreeBSD a
desktop OS.  If the inclusion of 3rd party desktop software makes an OS
considered a "desktop OS", then I suppose we could call HURD a desktop OS as
well, along with any bare kernel that can support X.  I consider a desktop
OS to be a little more than a kernel that can execute X.

Jeremiah Gowdy

IT Manager - Senior Network Administrator

Sherline Products Inc
3235 Executive Ridge
Vista CA 92083-8527

IT Dept: 760-727-9492