Date:      Tue, 09 Nov 1999 20:27:35 +0100
From:      "D. Rock" <rock@dead-end.net>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>
Cc:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rm error code on FAT

Maxim Sobolev wrote:

> "Matthew D. Fuller" wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 09, 1999 at 02:18:44AM +0200, a little birdie told me
> > that Maxim Sobolev remarked
> > >
> > > If your logic is right, then attempt to remove existent files from FAT using
> > > '*' should yield absolutely the same result (i.e. EINVAL). But in fact files
> > > being removed from FAT w/o any problems (touch /fat/1.exist /fat/2.exist ; rm
> > > /*.exist). IMHO it is clear bug in unlink error codes on FAT f/s.
> >
> > I think you'll find that the '*' in that case is expanded by your shell
> > long before rm ever gets to it.
>
> *sigh* (seems it is time for me to go into the bed ;).  You are probably right - it
> seems I forgot to take into account shell role.
>
> So it is pure and unavoidable "feature" of FAT....
Wildcards only get expanded by the shell if there is something to
expand. Just write an "echo" instead of "rm" for your command and
see by yourself.
csh would show the error message "no match", but sh compatible shells just display:
# mkdir empty
# cd empty
# echo *xtra
*xtra

So in fact, if you try to remove something, the '*' is indeed part of the filename
for the unlink() command.

Daniel