Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:51:04 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: Can you relate to my Tour of Despair?

> Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 18:55:28 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
> To: FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
> Subject: Can you relate to my Tour of Despair?

> # pkg_add -r agbrowser
> Fetching ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/Latest/agbrowser.tgz... Done.
> Fetching ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/All/linux_base-7.1.tgz... Done.
>
> Installation of the Linux base system is finished. The Linux kernel
> mode, which must be enabled for Linux binaries to run, is now enabled.
> Linux mode can be enabled permanently with the linux_enable variable
> of rc.conf(5).
>
> When using NIS, don't forget to edit
> yp.conf in /compat/linux/etc.
>
> Broken pipe
>
> 6. Uhm, wha-?  I realize pkg_add will install dependencies but what is a
> yp.conf and doesn't it already know I changed "linux_enable" to YES and
> might pkg_add be fearing that I will now club it with a broken pipe?

    Peter, I've never used pkg_add, nor have I ever let KDE touch my
    FreeBSD boxen, so I don't know what's wrong with that.

    As for the yp.conf: it says: "When using NIS". Make that "If you use
    NIS", is that better? If you don't use it, odds are there's even no
    yp.conf in /compat/linux/etc/. and if there's one, it's completely
    benign: a config file that's not used can't do any harm.

    personally, I would just
    % su -m
    % cd /usr/ports && make update
    % cd ./audio/agbrowser && make install clean

--
FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE
10:43AM up 8 days, 21:02, 11 users, load averages: 0.07, 0.03, 0.01