Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 14:00:44 +0800 (WST)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@jhome.DIALix.COM>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Repository copy request: (part of) ports/net -> ports/www

On Sun, 26 Nov 1995, Satoshi Asami wrote:
>  * BTW, I dont know how much of an issue it is to have a permanently
>  * buildable ports tree, but I can move rather than copy the files all in
>  * the same step.  This would leave the SUBDIR tree broken....
>
> Well, that's not much of a problem, it's not as important to have a
> buildable ports tree as the src tree (and that thing is often broken
> too :p).

That's what I was thinking.  I almost always build ports individually
anyway, and I imagine it would be relatively rare for somebody to do a
'make all' from the top level ports tree...  (I could be wrong though). I
think the most frequent use og the extensive SUBDIR lists would be people
making distributuions (eg: you.. :-) and people working for or from releases.

> I thought the reason was more in the line of two people having to make
> a mistake to screw up the tree (which I didn't really understand
> anyway).  Assuming it won't break anything for people who have things
> checked out (and I don't think it will), I think we can do it that way
> next time.

There's some ups and downs of this.
on the positive side:
1) We skip the *large* CTM deltas as a result of the files being
recreated in the Attic, only to be removed again later.
2) Things are cleaner as a result
3) cvs runs faster (less files to deal with).
4) cvs will still to the "right thing" and delete the unmodified checked
out files, **providing** the directories are there still for a while.
5) less repository bloat.

on the down side:
1) if a repository file disappears from under you while you've got a
modified checked out copy, you can't easily get a 'cvs diff'.  This is
not so bad, because in all cases where we're doing repository
copies/moves in "ports", there's a new location. You can simply "mv" the
modified file to the new location manually and continue.
2) we dont have quite as detailed a history.. But we're already not
concerning ourselves with that for ports in general.
3) umm.. I can't think of any others right now.. :-)

-Peter