Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 2000 16:16:57 -0400
From:      Charlie Finan <chf@bear.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DSL, PPPoE, SBC/SNET

Hi,

I need some setup advice.  I'm running 3.5R and have 2 NICs.  My
internal net
is setup just fine and if I use ppp to a dialup to my ISP, I have not
sweat connecting and
working.  Now, DSL is available and I just got the setup hardware from
them.  I've
installed the DSL modem (Efficient Networks 5260) and connected it to my
slow
(10Mb) nic with a crossover cable.  I see the ethernet is there light,
so that's ok.

Now for the questions.  I'm unclear how to get the pppoe side working
and how to
get the packets over to my internal net.  I see the option in the
rc.conf to use the pppoed
to start ppp with an isp_name argument.  This looks like the right way
to go.
I still want to be able to get the dialup connect until I'm comfortable
that the DSL will
work.  So, do I make a second ppp (ln -s ppp ppp1) and set it up in
syslog.conf and
newsyslog.conf for logging?

Then, once I connect, can I use ppp's internal nat and ip-rules or do I
need to go through
setting up natd and ipfw? (My kernel is already set with the IPFIREWALL
& NETGRAPH
options.)

Any advice would be greatly apprectiated!!!!

Charlie