Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 02:01:16 +0200
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Luis Javier Rodriguez <luisja@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, scott.mitchell@mail.com
Subject:   Re: Negotiation problems with a Xircom Ethernet 10/100 (RE-100BTX)  PCCARD

[CC'ed to Scott Mitchell, as the author of the xe driver]

Luis Javier Rodriguez wrote:

> A colleague told me that maybe "the error was testing the pccard with
> Windows Me", because it could write internal registers with different
> values from those suitable for FreeBSD. But the pccard is resetted
> when detected, so this should not be an argument.

I am that colleague (hi, Luis Javier ;-) ), and I want to point out the
following facts:

  1. We have two Xircom RealPort 10/100 cards (CE3-10/100): one was
     purchased about 18 months ago, and the other one only some days ago.

  2. Both cards are *identical*: same DingoID, RevisionID and VendorID.

  3. Each card was tested under FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE on two Dell Inspiron
     laptops, models 3700 and 4000.

  4. Also, we did the tests using two different Ethernet connections:
     to a hub (10 Mbps) and to a switch (100 Mbps half-duplex).

  5. The old card works fine, but the new card shows a strange
     behavior, as explained in the original message: the media seems
     to be correctly reported by ifconfig(8), but a simple ping(8) does
     not work; instead, the driver resets the card again, and even once
     more, before the packets begin to flow.

  6. The old card has been used *only* with FreeBSD. The new card was
     first used under Windows Millennium on the Inspiron 4000.

  7. The version of the Xircom driver for Windows is 2.05; however,
     we did another test, installing an old version of the driver
     (1.75), and then the card showed a different behavior when
     the machine was rebooted with FreeBSD (in fact, it was worse).
     Then, we reinstalled the previous driver (2.05), and we came
     back to the original situation. From this test, we could infer
     that the Windows driver "touches" something in the card which
     survives the reset issued by the xe(4) driver. Hey, it's my
     hypothesis ;-)

  8. We could test the old card with Windows and then with FreeBSD,
     but I don't like the risk of another card being corrupted by the
     Windows driver (if my hypothesis is correct). At least, now we
     have one card which works fine ;-)

We are really interested in finding the cause of this problem, so
any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
-- JMA
****** Jose M. Alcaide  //  jose@we.lc.ehu.es  //  jmas@FreeBSD.org ******
** "Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers" --  Leonard Brandwein **