Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 01:55:41 -0400
From:      Bill Barnes <bbarnes@operamail.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Ports via FTP

I created the wrong impression.  It isn't FreeBSD that I'm worried about, it's
the crackers.
This afternoon and evening the download was stalled a lot and there is some
offline peparation time and I've read there is significant risk in connecting
to the internet as root.
It doesn't matter too much right now because I just installed and haven't
anything to lose.  I was logged in as root for other maintenance and, frankly,
forgot about that until I started the ftp.
If i login as non-root, establish the internet connection, then su for the ftp
process, does that eliminate the risk of 'root online'; or maybe I am worried
about a non-problem.

BTW, I posted another message describing my woes in using ftp to update tkdesk
and maybe a straight download is the easiest way to go.

Appreciate the feedback,
Bill Barnes