Date:      Sat, 22 May 1999 15:26:04 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: apm on quantex h-1331 w/ pao 2.2.8

On 1999 May 23, Mitsuru IWASAKI (aka iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org) wrote:
> Subject: Re: apm & current
> Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 01:43:35 +0900
>
> iwasaki> > Also kernel panics every time when I run apm, but zzz - suspend is
> iwasaki> > working.
> iwasaki>
> iwasaki> I already noticed that this problem happens on some old laptops which has
> iwasaki> apm v1.1 or 1.0 (Sotec WinBookPro DX4/100, DEC HiNote Ultra II, etc.).
> iwasaki> -current/-stable apm(8) try to call APM v1.2 BIOS functions
> iwasaki> (e.g. APM_RESUMETIMER) without version checking.
> iwasaki> Some of the old APM BIOSes, however, can make kernel panic when recieved
> iwasaki> unkown APM BIOS functions.
> iwasaki> In /sys/i386/apm/apm.c, apm_get_info() has the same problem
> iwasaki> (APM_GETCAPABILITIES), therefore xbatt also will cause the same trouble.

Hi-

I have a similar problem with a new HP Omnibook 900 running under 3.2-STABLE
(cvsup'd last night).  I had observed the same behavior with 2.2.8 and 3.1
and even 3.1 with the pre-release PAO. I would prefer to stay with the stock
FreeBSD.

zzz does work; however, any attempt to get at power properties (apm or xbatt)
will panic the machine.   Here is a drop to debugger after panic

kernel: type 9 trap, code=0
stopped at   detrunc+0x1a0:  kernel: type 12 trap, code=0

db> panic
panic:  from debugger
Debugger("panic")
Stopped at   dtrunc+0x1a0:

fault virtual adderss	= 0x41e4    (note:  always this value!!!!!)
fault			= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc01a3374
stack pointer		= 0x10:0xc5320b50
frame pointer		= 0x10:0xc5320b54
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process		= 369 (apm)
interrupt mask		=
  kernel: trap 12 trap, code =0

(note the above is hand keyed).

I am running this with the apm with no flags and I turned on APM_DEBUG:

dmesg | grep apm

apm: BIOS probe/32-bit connect successful
apm0 on isa
apm: APM BIOS version 0102
apm: Code32 0xc00f0000, Code16 0xc00f0000, Data 0xc0000400
apm: Code entry 0x00005abc, Idling CPU disabled, Management enabled
apm: CS32_limit=0xfffe, CS16_limit=0xfffe, DS_limit=0xfffe
apm: Engaged control enabled
apm: found APM BIOS version 1.2
apm: Slow Idling CPU disabled
called apm_event_enable()