Date:      Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:05:49 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Walter <warume@shaw.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.5 and 5.2.1

--X1bOJ3K7DJ5YkBrT

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 10:36:39AM -0700, Walter wrote:
> I have both of the above mentioned versions. For some reason or other,
> neither one will get past the part of the installation where they probe
> for hardware. I've let both versions get after it for over 2 hours, and
> they're still probing for hardware. Any suggestions as to what I should
> be doing to not have this happen? The machine I'm trying this on has an
> AMD Duron CPU running at just over 1 Gig.
> =20
> Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Try a later version of FreeBSD (you just need to download the boot
floppy and see if it boots); both 4.5 and 5.2.1 are very old now, and
are missing many important bug fixes.

Look for a BIOS update.  It's common for older systems (and newer) to
have buggy BIOSes.

Reset your BIOS to default settings.  Non-default settings can often
prevent the computer from working.

Kris

--X1bOJ3K7DJ5YkBrT

--X1bOJ3K7DJ5YkBrT--