Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:18:31 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        jkruger@oskar.nanoteq.co.za
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Generating interrupts ?

> Your close.
> I actually made a bootable CD which installs a modified version of FreeBSD, with
> our product running on on top of it. The CD automatically boots up, installs
> everything, configures everything and then it asks you for a password. At this
> stage it gathered information of the particular system.
> It uses this information and a private key to encrypt the root password and then
> generates a signiture. The customer phones / mail us with this signiture, we
> decrypt it using our public key. Now we generate the required key which they
> have to enter for the installation to complete.
>
> In this signiture we got from them we have the followinf info :
> --> Motherboard used
> --> Bios Revision
> --> Root password
> --> admin password
> --> other info like disk sizes etc.

"gross"

> So can you pleasssseee now tel me how to get this info ?
> --> Motherboard used
> --> Bios Revision

See sys/i386/bios.c for how to make BIOS calls out of the kernel.  But
note that obtaining this information in the kernel is too late.  See
sys/boot/i386/libi386/biosdisk.c for how to call the BIOS in the
loader, where you have a chance to obtain this information and use it
to decrypt your kernel.