Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 18:25:04 -0800
From:      Derrick John Klise <derrick@lumiere.net>
To:        Fabrizio Ravazzini <freefabri@yahoo.it>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ipf & Bridging ???

From the FreeBSD section of the IPF FAQ:
(http://coombs.anu.edu.au/ipfilter/faq/IPFfreebsd.html#1)

Q. I'm having problems with bridging and FreeBSD.
A. IPF does not yet support Bridging on FreeBSD, only OpenBSD... however
Darren [Reed] plans on implementing this soon.

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 05:06:54PM +0100, Fabrizio Ravazzini wrote:
> Hello all I've done a bridge between Internet and my
> DMZ:
> 		Internet
>               Cisco Router
> 		   |rl0
> 		FreeBSD 4.3
> 		Bridge
> 		   |rl1
> 		  HUB----DMZ
>
> The bridge works very well,for example from the DMZ
> the servers in it can "see" Internet and from internet
> I can "see" the servers in the DMZ(Public Ip's).
> The problem is with ipf.
> If for example we put a simple rule in /etc/ipf.rules
> like this:
> block in quick on rl0
>
> in order to block all the traffic going to the DMZ it
> happens that packets originated from internet they
> by-pass my bridge/firewall!
> If you ping for example the bridge they are blocked
> but if you ping a machine in the dmz it responds!
> arghhh..
> I tried to put the rules for the bridge founded in the
> Ipfilter based firewalls howto but they didn't work.
> Any Idea?
> Isn't ipfilter supported under freebsd?
> Have I to use ipfw?
> Many thanks all
> bye

Derrick John Klise			<derrick@lumiere.net>
"I went into a general store, and they wouldn't sell me anything
specific".  -- Steven Wright