Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 06:59:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        Simon Bennet <support@natsoft.com.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Partition Over 2048 Mega Bytes

On 18-Aug-97 Simon Bennet wrote:

>I am attempting to install FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE on a Pentium 150MHz
>with a 3Gig IDE Hard Drive.
>
>When you run the bad block scan (bad144), at install time,  it fails at
>the 2048 MByte point with every block past there being reported as
>an error. This happens whether the drive is in LBA or NORMAL mode.
>
>Please note that MSDOS cannot have a partition greater than 2048MByte,
>this is only possible with the lasest version of windows.
>
>Will FreeBSD support a single partition over 2048MBytes in length,
>or is this just a problem with the bad block scanning program?

Hmmm.  No expert opinion here, but...  :-)

I'm running FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE using a 3.2 gig Quantum Fireball (IDE)
drive, with no problems at all.  The entire disk is allocated to FreeBSD in
one huge partition, with the following "slices" within the partition:

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd1a       31775    28466      767    97%    /
/dev/wd1s1f   2927222  1894664   798381    70%    /usr
/dev/wd1s1e     29727     6049    21300    22%    /var
procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc

Could it be maybe that your drive's geometry is incorrectly specified?  Or
maybe a BIOS or disk controller problem?

--
Conrad Sabatier                   |  FreeBSD -- UNIX for your PC
http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads/  |  http://www.freebsd.org