Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:43:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Robert Krten" <root@parse.com>
To:        v.velox@vvelox.net (Vulpes Velox)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendation for FreeBSD 5.3 TV-Out capable card?

Vulpes Velox sez...

> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 22:17:34 -0500 (EST)
> "Robert Krten" <root@parse.com> wrote:
>

> > I tried this in freebsd-x11, but no luck; can anyone here help?
>
> Hehe, saw it there but forgot about it ^_^

No problemo; I just figured x11 was the wrong place, is all.

> > I'm looking for a recommendation for a TV-out capable video card for
> > the Amd64 architecture on FreeBsd 5.3 (I've googed, posted in news,
> > no luck).
> >
> > I currently have an NVidia, but NVidia doesn't provide Amd64
> > drivers, and the ones that come with X don't correctly handle the
> > TV-out aspect.
> >
> > I have an old ATI Rage II card with TV-out, but the drivers don't
> > handle the TV-out aspect correctly either.
>
> Any ways, what is it doing? And what did the config look like?

The symptoms are that in text mode, everything would work -- I'd get
output on the SVGA connector as well as the TV-out (RCA Jack/baseband)
connector.

When I went into graphics mode, via "startx", the SVGA of course was
still good, but the output on the TV-out went into a white box on the
TV with a border of maybe 5% of the screen on each edge.  Who knows
what that means in terms of actual bandwidth / signal as each TV varies.

When I left X, and went back to text mode, the SVGA was fine but now
the TV-out showed the text, but shifted over -- it looked "tiled" if
that helps...  Subsequent "startx" and leaving X didn't do anything
different...

> > I'm willing to buy an older card, or a brand new one, hopefully
> > under $200 -- my ultimate goal is to create a "video jukebox".
> >
> > TV-in capture and tuning would just be icing on the cake! :-)
>
> /me will have to loop mess with looping the tv out, on his nvidia and
> ati card, around to his brooktree some time and see how the support
> for it is now days

Sounds like work! :-)

Thanks,
-RK

--
Robert Krten, PARSE Software Devices +1 613 599 8316.
Realtime Systems Architecture, Consulting, Books and Training at www.parse.com
Looking for Digital Equipment Corp. PDP-1 through PDP-15 minicomputers!