Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 23:52:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Paul Griffith <paulg@interlog.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice Needed - Unix System Admin

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997, Paul Griffith wrote:

> I am writing this because, I am currently a Sr. Service Technician for
> Micro Warehouse Canada Ltd. (Mac Warehouse, InMac,  Notebook Store),
> looking to make the move over to the Unix System Admin. side. I plan to
> start with UNIX, and also get certified for Windows NT.
>
> I know this doesn't happen over nigh, and it takes a long time. I hope you
> can assist me, I have but a few questions to ask you:
>

> 1)  Can you recommend any UNIX training centers that are recognized by the
> industry ?
> ( I am currently enrolled in a UNIX System Admin. course at a local College
> - Centennial College )
>

> 2)  Do you think on is better off learning the UNIX tools (i.e. shell
> scripts, pearl, performance tuning, etc.)  than a vendor specific UNIX ?
>
> I also welcome any and all advice you can give me,

There are very different flavors of Unix, that are fairly distinct.  It's
probably fair to say that the top level breakdown is between the AT&T SVR4
type, and the BSD4.4 type.  You have to understand that they borrow from
each other heavily, and often in the borrowing get things badly screwed
up.

There are a plethora of differences in other versions, but the largest
differences are between those 2 I listed above, and previous versions of
those systems.

You _should_ learn at least one Unix from both of those categories, but do
one at a time.  Choose one to get reasonably good at, and don't move to
another until you can do basic emergency recovery (playing with disks and
mount tools and processes).  Porting software is one hell of a good way to
learn the programming differences, but probably not so good at teaching
sys admin-ship.

Haunt FreeBSD-questions, good place to learn answers.

> Thank You very much in advance.
> Paul Griffith - paulg@interlog.com

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |