Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:23:31 +0100
From:      koen de wijs <koendewijs@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   programming languages and visual programming under FreeBSD

Hallo, I'm just new wtih unix and FreeBSD and I have a question about
programming languages, I want to learn some of them but don't know where
to start.

I heard that C is the most powerfull language under unix and almost the
complete system is written under it.
You can do everything with it. Where is a good toturial?

Can you read and write directly with the printer port or does the
kernell block that?? I got a programm from someone that putted some
assmebler in his c programm to adress the printer port.
And where can I find an overview of all the *.h files that you can use
under FreeBSD

Are there any visual programming tools under FreeBSD, like click and
drag like microsoft visual c?
The only options that I found where:
GTK, KDE libs and Gnome libs or directly tlak with the x server.

The other languages that I know are:
Perl, I could only find that it is especially for tasks for your system
and that it's based on C
Shell scripts, for tasks for your systems and simple programms
Python.

What are the advantages of these languages above C and are there more
programming languages under FreeBSD?
I don't want to start a war, where everybody says "What I'm doing is
best", like microsoft!
I just want to know what are the common advantages of those languages.