Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2018 22:00:59 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.cn85.dnsmgr.net>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GPT vs MBR for swap devices

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018, 9:52 PM bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 02:10:21PM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> >
> > It might be interesting to do in order the swapon
> > commands to 1G USB flash, 1G SD flash, 2G SD flash,
>
> It seems clear that USB flash swap, alone or in any
> combination, fails early in buildworld.

I think that's because USB flash can't swap fast enough to keep up with the
page demand. You might be able to confirm this by looking at the write
rates to the swap portions for the various other media with gstat. I
suspect it's FTL is doing more expensive garbage collection under a swap
work load leading to long pauses from time to time that the VM system
responds to by starting OOM too soon.

Warner

1 GB of SD