Date:      Mon, 08 Dec 2008 15:17:32 +0100
From:      Gerhard Schmidt <estartu@ze.tum.de>
To:        Robin Becker <robin@reportlab.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install freebsd from inside another operating system

--------------enigD8912AA320721E9065747B30

Robin Becker schrieb:
> I'm just wondering if it is possible to install FreeBSD from inside a
> bootstrap operating system such as a knoppix or ubuntu preinstall?
>=20
> Reason I'm asking is that my boss is asking about getting another
> commodity server using a provider that doesn't offer freebsd. We do get=

> KVM over IP however, and I assume that really clever people might know
> how to handle this sort of thing if they have console access.

Only KVM or do you have access to a Remote console (IPMI).

You can try to boot FreeBSD from a Network but than you need access to th=
Network from a running server to setup a TFTP and BOOTP Server. Much more=

easy would it be just to let the Computer Center guys insert a FreeBSD CD=

into the CD Drive. Thats how I install FreeBSD in remote Computer Centers=
=2E

It Might work I you generate a Harddiskimage and use your Bootstrap OS to=

get it from net and write it to the Harddisk at the server. I never done
this but theoretically it should work.

As I said, the best way to du the install is to have a CD inserted and
after install simply change the bootsequence in BIOS.

Regards
	Estartu

--=20
Gerhard Schmidt       | E-Mail: schmidt@ze.tum.de
TU-M=FCnchen	      |
WWW & Online Services |
Tel: 089/289-25270    |
Fax: 089/289-25257    | PGP-Publickey auf Anfrage