Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:10:55 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@fair-ware.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, "'John Hay'" <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
Subject:   Re: cc: Internal error: Illegal instruction (program as)

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 12:10:46PM +0100, Soeren Schmidt
<sos@spider.deepcore.dk> wrote:

> > These two kernel options seem to have solved the problem.  Builds now
> > run smoothly and error-free.  I read the comments in NOTES about these
> > options and something clicked:  I recall that most Pentium processors
> > will only deal with 4 kB pages.  Aren't 4 MB pages a feature of the Xeon
> > processor, as it can address much more memory?
> >
> > If that is the case, then these options should be the default, and their
> > inverse provided in the kernel configuration file (ENABLE_PSE &
> > ENABLE_PG_G).
>
> Just for the record but my P4@2400/533 512MB/DDR does *not* show this
> problem no matter how hard I beat it.

Terry claims the problem is somewhat masked on systems using more
memory and particular kernel options. Not my words and claims, but
Terry's, however you can try to physically take out memory (if you
have two 256MB modules) or limit it at boottime (into which I don't
believe, personally, but that's my uneducated faith only).

Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
Timecounter "TSC"  frequency 1699953492 Hz
CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.70GHz (1699.95-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf13  Stepping = 3
  Features=0x3febfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM>
real memory  = 132382720 (126 MB)
avail memory = 123191296 (117 MB)
Initializing GEOMetry subsystem
Pentium Pro MTRR support enabled
VESA: v3.0, 832k memory, flags:0x1, mode table:0xc043e2e0 (1000040)
VESA: Brookdale-G Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
npx0: <math processor> on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
acpi0: <INTEL  D845GLLY> on motherboard
    ACPI-0625: *** Info: GPE Block0 defined as GPE0 to GPE31
Using $PIR table, 9 entries at 0xc00f3d20
--

Vallo Kallaste