Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 1999 17:29:27 +1000
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Good news from NVIDIA]

On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 02:17:43AM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
>On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Wes Peters wrote:
>
>> Johan Jansson wrote:
>> >
>> > NVIDIA has released OpenGL drivers for Linux/X, with source, for all
>> > their chipsets. It also seems they intend these to be used as a base
>> > for other platforms as well (BeOS for example). Here is from the faq:
>> >
>> > "This distribution is meant to tide-us-over until that time, as well
>> > as provide source for other platforms that want RIVA support."
>> >
>> > I think this is extremely good news. The drivers and faq can be
>> > accessed from here:
>> >
>> > http://www.nvidia.com/Marketing/Products/Pages.nsf/pages/NVIDIA_Drivers
>>
>> Does anyone know how/if/when this will bleed over to FreeBSD?  A
>> killer cheap OpenGL box might be kinda fun to have, and I'm already
>> in the market for another desktop.  TNT cards have gotten pretty
>> cheap...
>
>FreeBSD doesn't write it's own X, we use (most of us, the ones that
>don't buy their X implementations) from the XFree86 organization.
>You'll have to go ask them, we're the wrong fellas.
>
>www.xfree86.org

NVIDIA already does the RIVA/TNT drivers for XFree86, and I expect the
3D bits to be folded in when the direct rendering work that Precision
Insight is doing is ready.  XFree86 3.3.4 (due out later this month)
will include an updated version of NVIDIA's 2D driver.  There's a little
bit of information about 3.3.4 at http://www.xfree86.org/releaseplans.html.

David