Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 12:12:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        dave@kachina.jetcafe.org (Dave Hayes)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sup-ing stable

> Pardon me if I'm clueless. However, you said before that sup-ing the
> stable tree would upgrade one to 2.1.5-RELEASE. If that's true, why is
> uname -a giving me 2.1-RELEASE? I've sup'd the entire stable tree as
> of last night even.

You sure it doesn't say something like:

FreeBSD SkyRsh.aac.dev.com 2.1-STABLE FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE #0: Sun Aug 11 12:46:13 PDT 1996     root@SkyRsh.aac.dev.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/SKYRSH  i386

Note, 2.1-STABLE, not 2.1-RELEASE.

Also, Jordan, FYI, 3 or 4 of my clients have also sent me notices saying
``I though you said these would be loaded with 2.1.5 + fixes, why does
it say 2.1''.

I think there is enough confusion out there that the strings should be
changed to this:
TYPE="FreeBSD"
REVISION="2.1.5"
BRANCH="STABLE"

It's still the ``STABLE'' branch, but PAST the 2.1.5 release tag...
``STABLE'' == the cvs RELENG_2_1_0 tag, so I don't want to here the
cvs tag confustion again please...

Just me $0.10 worth...