Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 09:57:02 +0200 (EET)
From:      Seppo Kallio <kallio@beeblebrox.pccc.jyu.fi>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, questions@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there plans to implement ELF into FreeBSD/NetBSD? Linux has it.

On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > I did search FAQ etc. on www.freebsd.org but fould nothing about ELF.
> >
> > Is there plans to implement it into NetBSD and/or FreeBSD?
>
> What do you feel is the compelling reason to support ELF instead
> of a.out as the native binary format?

Maybe I do not know what you mean with a.out native, or what ELF is ...

I have been told:

We have Sun machines. If FreeBSD supports ELF I can run Sun Solaris i386
binaries in FreeBSD. I can also run Linux ELF binaries. I can also run
many other ELF i386 binaries. ELF is more OS independed because it is
calling library functions by name.

The big problem in FredBSD, NetBSD, Linux is the lack of good application
software: Word processing for example as a primary tool for microcomputer
users.

Maybe I am 100% wrong? One common binary format sounds very nice. If you
try to build Linux emulator, Solaris emulator, SCO emulator etc. I think
it is a big task. Building one ELF "emulator" sounds better. (is there
SCO ELF ;-) I do not know).

Ah this talk is form Linux people, they speak about ELF ...

Seppo