Date:      Fri, 04 Jan 2002 15:11:45 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
Cc:        William Carrel <william.carrel@infospace.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: path_mtu_discovery

Guido van Rooij wrote:
> > > ipfilter with 'keep state' on the connections will automatically allow
> > > back in relevant ICMP messages such as mustfrag.
> >
> > Heh... I need to try to write a "mustfrag" daemon, which will
> > spoof them back whenever it sees traffic... and see what happens.
>
> The sender will start sending smaller segments. That's it.
> But if you are in the patch between sender and receiver you can do worse
> things than that.

I knew that I could multiply the number of packets sent by a
factor of 5... I was pointing out a flaw in the idea of allowing
path MTU ICMP back in, unconditionally...

Now ask me how to DOS attack any server daemon that works by
using the "sendfile" interface...

PS: *Don't* ask me how the SYN-cache overflow SYN-cookie code
can be ACK-flooded, to make the kernel spend all its time doing
MD5 calculations, since that one is obvious...

-- Terry