Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:51:42 -0500
From:      "Philippe LeCavalier" <plecavalier@cyberus.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   user logon denied -no such user

Hello everyone,

I recently began experiencing an issue with user accounts on my FreeBSD
4.9-RELEASE file server. Any new user account I create fails authentication.
The log entry shows 'no such user' but /etc/passwd has the appropriate
entries. (used vipw to check). The only access the new user is granted is
SSH. Any other program fails authentication. Proftpd, SAMBA.etc.

Here is one of those log entries:

Mar  4 16:03:07 telzar proftpd[68222]: telzar (IP_HERE[192.168.0.10]) - no
such user 'USER_HERE'

I'm also getting this in SAMBA's log. This may not be a related issue
though:

[2004/03/11 03:59:59, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(599)

arkain (192.168.0.12) Can't change directory to /tmp (Permission denied)

I guess what I'm asking here is if someone can show me how to dig a little
deeper into the FreeBSD authentication system so I can find out if a
required file is missing/corrupt or has inherited the wrong permissions
maybe. I dunno.

Any guidance, comments or experiences with this kind of problem would be
greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil