Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 10:52:18 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Webmaster@Web-Choice.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should I take the risk? ot use my 386?

On Sun, 10 May 1998 at  1:52:27 +0100, Mike J Schoonbrood wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running MS Windows 98 BETA 3, but want to setup a Web Server for
> FTP, E-mail, HTTP, Gopher etc. I was reccomended Red Hat Linux 5, so I
> got a GNU Version for $5, when I installed it, it really messed up my
> hard drive partitions!! In fact, 1 gig of my data is still in NON-DOS
> Format, and it won't change back!

To be fair, this doesn't sound like Red Hat's fault.  Any time you
install more than one operating system on a disk, you must divide up
the space on the disk between the systems.  It certainly won't "change
back" unless you issue the instructions to do so.

> Here's the major thing.....I want to see what a UNIX System is like, but
> after what happened with Linux, I am afraid of the results, here's what
> I though I might do....find a way to install it to my old 386 Computer,
> it doesn't have a modem, only s floppy drive and 175 Meg Hard
> Drive....how do I install it? Can I get FreeBSD from the net and onto
> Floppy?

Yes, you can do that.  Bear in mind, though, that there's a lot of
stuff included in the distribution.  You'd almost certainly be better
off installing from CD-ROM.  You could use the currently unallocated 1
GB of disk on your other machine for that.

Greg