Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 2002 20:04:21 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   URGENT: Over 700 ports missing perl dependencies

--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb

The latest bento run on 5.0 is the first to build without perl
present: previously, two of the portbuild scripts were written in
perl, so I had to always pkg_add it into the chroot environment.  Now
that these scripts have been rewritten in C and I have stopped doing
the pkg_add, it is exposing all the ports that should have a
dependency on perl but currently do not.

At least 700 additional ports are breaking for this reason.  Many of
them are using ${PERL} to do patching-in-place, and these should be
converted to use REINPLACE_CMD/USE_REINPLACE.  Others use perl
during the build and should set USE_PERL.

Everyone please check

  http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/5-latest/index-maintainer.html

ASAP and fix the listed problems.  Note that I am aware of two
problems with the recent build:

1) Port builds are being killed after 1 hour, instead of after 1 hour
*without output*.  This is a bug in the aforementioned C code.

2) Ports that use PERL_CONFIGURE should automatically get a dependency
on perl in bsd.port.mk.  Apparently someone has submitted a patch for
this already, but I don't immediately know where it is to test it.

Kris

--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb

--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb--