Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 09:32:03 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        lists@gal.netlab.sk
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need non-case sensitive fs

Tomas TPS Ulej wrote:

> We are ISP running FreeBSD as ftp & email server. Now we want move most of
> our webs to apache + fp from our WIN NT4 Server. Problem is that our
> customers have their pages deisgned for WINDOWS Platform. I need something
> like non case sensitive filesystem .  I need implementation for ufs ') which
> will work as this scheme...
>
> Funcion Read "DeMOFile.jpg"  reads "DEMOFILE.jpg". So implementation like
> DOS/WINDOWS OS have. Upcase equal Downcase. Any ideas?

A number of suggestions spring to mind, some of which are definitely better
than others...

(The first good idea being - _Don't Cross post!_ especially to that many
groups, it really gets people annoyed... :)

1. Put the pages all on an MSDOS filesystem, rather than a unix one... (Bad
for any names over 8 chars I guess? - I don't know if FreeBSD has long
filename support - and if it does, your back to the original problem).

2. Write a script that piles through all the pages and adjusts the filenames
of local files all to lower-case, and then renames all the local files to
lowercase... (This might break pages that are referenced externally)...

3. Apache has a 'spelling' module, but I have a nasty idea this only works for
HTML page names, and not graphics (it corrects typos etc.)

4. Get someone to clone the UFS code, and make it munge all the filenames to
lowercase before processing requests... I say clone, because I don't
particularly like the idea of doing it to _all_ the partitions on the system,
but I'd guess it's probably a fairly trivial hack to do...

To be honest we don't have this problem too much - as most Windows users use
the _same_ convention in their HTML that they save the file to disk with... We
did have a problem with 'index.html', vs 'INDEX.htm' vs. 'INDEX.HTML' vs.
'index.htm' - but this was soon fixed from the Apache side (A fix I didn't
particular like - why fix it, why not just explain to people the mistake they
are making? :)

-Kp