Date:      Thu, 07 Mar 2002 13:12:21 -0700
From:      Lorin Lund <fbsd@wbs-inc.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Seeking testers of alternate install  method

I'm working on a couple of programs to package as an install archive for Win9x/ME.
The program I've been focussing on is a DOS program that uses BIOS diskio to put
a minimally populated BSD filesystem in a free partition, and booteasy in the boot
sector.  Then one can reboot into FreeBSD and run /stand/sysinstall to load whatever
distributions are desired.

Once I have that working I will do the Windows program to supervise the running of
defrag, fips. and my partition loader program so that it all works smoothly.  Once that
is working I intend to go on to gathering information from Windows to simplify the
configuring of ppp and X.

Since Win 2000 (and presumably XP and NT) disallow bios disk i/o to a hard drive
from my program I am still looking for good alternatives for easy install there.  (I have
not actually verified that WinME allows the bios disk io I'm using)  The
biggest problem is no NTFS counterpart to FIPS. (At least none that I know of).

If anyone is interested in testing or making suggestions please reply to this (off list
would probably be best)