Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 12:17:59 -0800
From:      David <ddavid@ican.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Memory Caching

Ok, lets try this without netscape spell check off :)

Sorry for the dup all...it just looks so stupid the way it reads.

> To see actually how fast it was deleting, I was using "df" while
> it was deleting and it said about 1 meg was deleted for every 5
> seconds.  Is this normal?  I remember how under Windows, it would
> take seconds to delete large amounts of files.  Can anyone help?
> Thanks!

To put this in perspective as pertains to win, large files also delete
in seconds on FreeBSD, but! it had taken me 1 hr last night to delete
the ports tree of a win box, and, i don't even want to talk about
defragging the drive with the ports tree.

If need be, I was "trying" to cvs the src and ports to update my system
using WinCVS ( can someone port this please!!! :), due too lack of
access on my friends box ( DST comes back on Wed.'s! ) and no hw modem,
but win kept crapping out with all the small files.

Man, some people will try anything to keep there box up to date to play
with. Next time I will just get someone to beat me with a stick, same
effect, but less time to bare the punishment of such a silly idea.

Cheers

David