Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 11:14:40 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   /etc/hosts vs. DNS for local-only machines

I decided to run named on my FreeBSD machine, both in the hope of speeding
up lookups (the DNS servers for my ISP are very pokey at times) and for the
sake of gaining experience.  All seems to work well, although I'm still not
clear on how to pull statistics for caching activity.

Anyway, is it better to define local hosts (those on my 10/24 LAN, not
visible from the Net) within DNS, or just within a /etc/hosts file?  If I
define them in DNS, how can I ensure that the definitions are visible only
from my LAN, and that named will never try to resolve them from a different
DNS server?  I have incoming DNS queries blocked at the firewall, so I don't
have to worry about other nameservers accidentally picking up anything I
have defined.