Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2001 01:17:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   XFree86 4.0.3 Install problems

Hi:

I just installed 4.3. I installed the following XFree86
packages (vi /stand/sysintall):

4.0.3_3
FontServer-4.0.3
aout-libs-3.3.3
font100dpi-4.0.3
font75dpi-4.0.3
fontDefaultBitmaps-4.0.3
fontEncodings-4.0.3
fontScalable-4.0.3
libraries-4.0.3_1

When running startx I get a long pause, then
xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/jfreeze/.Xauthority
xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/jfreeze/.Xauthority

Fatal server error:
Cannot open log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log"

I am somewhat concerned about he config file, since
xf86config did not follow the sequence given in
the handbook and it did not link or write XF86Config
to /etc.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks

Jim Freeze