Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 21:09:03 -0700
From:      Bill Huey (Hui) <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
Cc:        Alp ATICI <atici@cpw.math.columbia.edu>, Ed Yu <edlyu@yahoo.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, "Bill Huey (Hui)" <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: About 5.0 and Nvidia drivers

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 09:36:36AM -0700, Frank Mayhar wrote:
> Sigh.  You know, I wish you folks would do some research before you go
> spouting off in public.
>
> ATI supports open source developers.  NVidia doesn't.  Period, end of
> story.  For proof, see their respective websites and any number of
> mailing lists devoted to this topic.

In slight support of NVidia...

First of all, the NVidia driver I've been using under Linux has given me
zero problems over the years. It's a great card with good performance and
a pretty solid driver.

As far as the sources go, they open sourced the parts of it that are OS
specific so that it can be ported using its native PCI supporting functions,
having the rest is kind of silly. Their supporting engineers are pretty
available, responsive online and bug (compile time) fixes happen very quickly.
The rest of the source dealing with how they package T&L frankly can
stay with NVidia. Most folks don't have the time to screw with stuff like
that and it's doubtful that any small volunteer driven group could
replicate its quality.

That's my two cents. ;)

bill