Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:53:51 -0000
From:      "hellenic" <hellenic@rmplc.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Diskless booting across the network

I am using FreeBSD 2.2.5
I am trying to get a client to 'disklessly' boot across the network.
I have followed the intructions in the handbook fairly closely and also the
details that I found at
http:/www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/HomeAuto/diskless

The diskless machine boots the correct kernel, detects devices, but then
says
panic: nfs_mountroot 	SIOCAIFADDR:6

I wonder if anyone can point me to what I might be doing wrong.

The relevant files are:

/etc/bootptab
---------------------------
client:\
        :ht=ether:\
        :ha=00c0dfacfbf6:\
        :sm=255.255.255.0:\
        :hn:\
        :ds=192.168.1.1:\
        :ip=192.168.1.2:\
        :gw=192.168.1.1:\
        :vm=rfc1048:\
---------------------------

/etc/exports
---------------------------
/usr/rootfs/client  /usr/swapfs         -maproot=0:0 client
---------------------------

/usr/rootfs/client/etc/rc
---------------------------
#!/bin/sh
HOME=/; export HOME
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin
export PATH
# swapon -a
/sbin ifconfig ed0 192.168.1.2 netmask 0xffffff00
mount_nfs server:/usr/rootfs/client /
mount_nfs server:/usr               /usr

# date
exit 0
---------------------------

/tftpboot/freebsd.192.168.1.2
rootfs 192.168.1.1:/usr/rootfs/client
swapfs 192.168.1.1:/usr/swapfs
swapsize 20000
hostname client.hellenic.org

In  usr/rootfs/client/etc/rc.conf I have set nfs_client_enable="YES"

Any help would be most gratefully received.

Roger Whittaker