Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 22:01:32 -0800
From:      Dan Piponi <dan@mvfx.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: windows debate

> He argues that
> gates was brilliant for his marketing tactics that locked people into
> windows, and that he gave people what they wanted: easy-to-use
> computers.

Windows is not easy to use. For those who didn't grow up using
computers they are phenomenally difficult to use. Few people that
I know that are older than me (in my thirties somewhere) are able
to install and troubleshoot a PC themselves to the point where they
can, say, browse the web and send email (my wife's father just went
for two weeks without being able to connect to his ISP. He didn't
realise that when he typed in his password and *'s came up instead
of the keys he was typing that it wasn't because the keyboard was
faulty. He had to type in his password because Windows likes to
spontaneously forget ISP passwords from time to time). Compare that
with using a telephone, microwave or even a Nintendo 64. Those
younger than me seem to have grown up with computers and hence they
are adept with Windows *despite* how difficult it is.
--
Dan