Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 1995 09:30:30 -0500 (GMT-0500)
From:      "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>
To:        martin@victor.innovus.com (Martin Renters)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: netboot for each card?

> I spent some time looking at how to fix the Makefile to build a version of
> netboot for each type of card we support.  I looked through ether.c (actually
> while trying to fix some breakage that occured to the SMC driver
> during the 3C509 additions) and came to the conclusion that probably the
> best approach is to separate out the two drivers and put each one in
> its own source file.  (8390 boards in ns8390.c and 3c509 in 3c509.c)

I agree.

> What I would like to do is put all the ethernet specific code in the
> source file for that driver.  Currently, the 3c503 driver has some ifdefs
> in main.c and bootmenu.c to deal with the transceiver.  I'd like to remove
> ifdefs and make 'trans' a standard command.  As far as the eth_fillname

May be we need a global variable like 'ether_trans' too. Initial value may be
set using defines in Makefile, and then they may be changed using 'trans'
command. It must have at least 4 possible values: "bnc","aui","utp","determined
by hardware". The reason for this is that 'trans' command should be entered
from keyboard and this may be inconvenient.

> I'd be willing to do the ns8390 based boards, and hopefully Serge will
> take the 3c509 driver.  (If not I can look at that one too since I now

OK.

		Serge Babkin

! (babkin@hq.icb.chel.su)
! Headquarter of Joint Stock Bank "Chelindbank"
! Chelyabinsk, Russia